Pictorial archive
Maps - Old and New
Properties in detail
 
  Houses on the west side
  Houses on the east side
Ephemera
 
Page 1 of 2 - next >
 
Fulling Mill House (Convent)
Fulling Mill House (convent)
Over the river bridge is now the Convent's Old People's Home. The house was formerly known as Fulling Mill House in which lived five generations of the Nottage family, at one time the most extensive clothiers in the street. They were Huguenot Refugees from the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in France in 1685, when they commenced the business of clothiers in Bocking. They acquired much wealth and land, and when the cloth business collapsed they became bankers.

It was this house which is described in Wright's "History of Essex" 1832, as lately rebuilt in the elegant style of modern architecture. The charming Regency drawing room and beautiful grounds are relics of those spacious days.

There is an older building at the rear, which within living memory had special ventilators 'to take the dust from the looms working within'.

Click on the thumbnails below for further details about Fulling Mill House
 
 
 
No. 114 "The Tudor House"
No.114 Tudor House
Built in about 1520 for a Bocking clothier the Tudor House is richly endowed with oak timbers. There is a gatehouse at the south end and a characteristic carved bressumer supports the jettied first floor. It was fitted with glazed windows on the ground floor when built, but due to the expense of these the first floor windows were unglazed and closed with shutters which ran in slides, traces of some of which are still visible. Traces of service doors exist in a partition inside as does some of the original wattle and daub. The house was restored in 1974 and was used by the Civic Society to house the Braintree Museum Collection begun by the late Mr. Alfred Hills.
The old museum sign is still visible.

Click on the thumbnails below for further details about The Tudor House
 
 
 
No. 110
No. 110
This house is notable because it was built between 1680 and 1690, whereas most other 17th century work in the street is in the form of modification or alteration. This is a very nice example of the 4 room design which occurs in so many houses both large and small from this era. 19th century alterations were responsible for the attractive front windows. This house is built against and makes use of the wall to the adjoining carriage arch.
 
Nos. 106 & 108
No. 106 and 108
This was one large late 16th century 3 bay house, probably with a front jetty, and extensively altered in the early and late 18th century. Much of the original frame remains, with jowelled storey posts and arch braces, and a moulded bridging joist. Early 18th century detailing includes some dado panelling, also inside there is a fine late 18th century stair with stick balusters, and wreathed handrail. In the 1800's this was one of the Breweries of Bradford Street owned by Goslings. Note the vents in the wall. At one time approximately 1890, there was an oast house at the rear of this property.
 
Nos. 102 & 104
No. 102 and 104
These are early to mid 15th century buildings, which were very extensively altered in the mid 16th and early 19th century. Some of the original framing remains including a heavy joisted floor.
 
No. 98
No.98
No description currently available.
If you have any information or would like to submit a description
please contact us here
Click on the thumbnails below for further details about No. 98
 
 
 
No. 94
No.94
This is a typical 3 bay 2 storey mid-16th century timber framed house. It is worthy of note as the frame is more than 75% complete, which is unusual as records show that so many were later extensively altered. The windows showing on the front are modern (circa 1920) and are set in between the main bay frames. The roof is arch-braced to side purlin.
Click on the thumbnails below for further details about No. 94
 
 
 
Nos. 92 and 92a
No.92 and 92a
The house was first built in the 16th Century and probably jettied to the street. To the rear of the property further bays were later added at right angles to the road. These may have have started life in the 16th Century with a single floor and then built upwards in the 17th Century.
This is a plastered and timber-framed two-storey house which until 1997 was a butcher's shop (previously J. Sargent, until 1997 R.L Gallop). Two entrance doors indicate that before this use it had been divided into two cottages. It is characteristically Georgian in appeareance, with a bay window and, more unusually, a projecting shop window with a flat canopy above. There are two main elements to the property, which in effect T-shaped: a three-bay building parallel to the street, and to the rear of it a long three bay building at right-angles to the street.
To the left of the property and through the gates, the butcher's grounds were used as an abattoir and stables. The ice house still remains here.

Click on the thumbnails below for further details about No. 92 and 92a
 
 
 
Nos. 84 & 90
No.84 and 90
This block was built as one house, of a quality associated with someone of the status of a modest merchant in about 1450. This is evidenced by the Crown Post which is not as well ornamented as is to be found in houses built by wealthier folk. It was originally jettied but this was removed by about 1790. The portion now occupied as Nos. 84 and 86 were originally the hall which would have been open through to the roof. A first floor level was inserted here not before 1790.
 
Page 1 of 2 - next >